The Perfect Classic Omelette
Write a review
- • 2 large or extra-large eggs
- • 1 Tbs. water
- • 2 pinches salt
- • 4 grinds freshly ground black pepper
- • Fresh herbs (optional)
- • 1 tsp. olive oil
- • 1 tsp. unsalted butter
- • Choice of filling and garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, water, salt, pepper, and herbs (if using) until the yolks and whites are well combined but not foamy. In an 8-inch heavy-duty non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil and then add the butter. Swirl to coat the pan. When the butter melts, pour the eggs into the pan. With a heatproof spatula, scramble the eggs using small, circular scribbling motions until soft curds start to form, 30 to 50 seconds.
- As the mixture firms, spread it over the bottom of the pan; swipe the sides as needed. Stop working the curds to let the omelette begin to firm and let it sit about 30 seconds. (If you like your eggs well done, let it go a bit longer.)
- If using cheese, scatter it evenly, leaving a scant margin around the omelette's edge. Add the other filling ingredients and use your spatula to press them gently into the curds to incorporate the filling into the omelette.
- With the spatula, lift one-third of the omelette and fold it over the centre like a business letter.
- Tilt the pan toward the plate slide the omelette so one-third of it hangs over the pan's edge. Invert the pan, using the spatula to help support the omelette so that it flips neatly over itself as it slides out of the pan.
Freshfields Farm Eggs https://freshfields-farm-eggs.co.uk/